ABOUT THE CLUB
Southport Sharks Juniors is one of the proven pathway clubs for AFL players on the Gold Coast. Our membership and player numbers exceeded 415 registered players and 26 teams in the Gold Coast League. The 2014 season saw many of our players from Under 12’s – Under 16’s selected to play/train in Stingrays, Schoolboys (Southcoast), Bushrangers, Suns & Lions Development Squads and State Teams. Many of our 2014 players are already training and in line to be selected for representative teams in 2015.
We would like to thank all of our players, parents, coaches, team officials, committee members and all the other volunteers for making Southport the Club we have all come to enjoy. Without you, the success and Club Spirit we have would not be possible.
Our goals for the 2016 Season are to continue the development of all players via experienced coaches and improved facilities. Southport Sharks is a family club built upon the belief that all players, regardless of ability are welcomed, developed and enjoy their game of footy each weekend.
Frankhauser Oval, cnr Musgrave & Olsen Avenues, Southport
- Juniors: Super 6’s, Super 8’s, Under 9, Under 10, Under 11
- Youth: Under 12 Division 1 & 2; Under 13 Division 1; Under 15 Division 1 & 2; Under 17 Division 1 & 2; Under 19 Division 1 & 2
- Youth Girls: Under 15 & Under 19
With the focus of the Southport Sharks on being a family club, the Sharks have been blessed with an extraordinary level of devotion by so many families. As the 2016 Season begins, new volunteers are always needed and welcomed.
- Daniel Wise – Sharks junior player, progressed through to Captain the Sharks Senior team in 2009. Best & Fairest, State Captain and has played over 100 games with Senior Club.
- Adam Devine – over 300 games with Sharks juniors from Under 8’s. Over 200 Senior games and State rep player.
- Rory Thompson – a Southport Sharks Junior player drafted to the Sun’s at only 17 years of age. Rory wears the #16 jersey for the Suns heading into his fourth season of AFL Footy in 2015.
2010 saw the Southport Sharks Seniors carry out major refurbishment of junior facilities including the change rooms and canteen. At the start of the 2011 season, the major access ring road to the main oval was sealed to increase the availability of parking for visitors and members alike. The end of the 2012 season saw major drainage works completed on our bottom oval and training lights installed on the Village Green. In 2013, we extended the concrete apron around the canteen to make it a more functional area and also entered a 30 year lease agreement with the Southport State High School for the use of their ovals as a training venue. Goal posts have now been installed on their modified oval for training. In 2015 commencement of renovations to the SSHS grounds will commence we are hoping to install lighting and construct a full size main oval at the school to cater for the growth within our Club.
We are always interested in obtaining sponsors to assist in the development of our players and club facilities. Click here for more information.